Home Energy Saving Kits now available in SDCC Libraries
05th November, 2018
We are delighted to announce that our Home Energy Saving Kits can now be borrowed from selected South Dublin libraries. The Mayor of South Dublin County Council, Councillor Mark Ward, launched this new service on Tuesday, October 30th in Lucan Library. The Home Energy Saving Kit aims to help householders make sense of the energy they use every day. The items in the toolkits address three key areas of energy use - space heating, hot water and electricity consumption.
Each kit contains six practical tools that help householders understand how their home uses energy and ways to find possible savings. The six tools are:
- Fridge/Freezer thermometer. This allows you to adjust the temperature in your fridge and freezer to save energy.
- Temperature and humidity meter. This identifies the temperature and humidity levels in every room in your house.
- Radiator key. To bleed your radiators and make them heat more efficiently.
- Thermal Leak Detector. This measures the temperature of your walls, floors, windows and ceilings to identify air leaks and draughts or insufficient insulation and glazing.
- Plug-In Energy Monitor. With this tool, you can see how much energy the appliances in your home use and calculate their running costs.
- Stopwatch. You can measure the water flow rate of your taps and adjust to save water and money on heating it.
Speaking at the launch, Mayor Mark Ward highlighted the benefits of the service. "The kit will allow you to carry out a mini energy audit in your home. Its suggestions can reduce your home’s CO2 emissions and establish easy and important ways to save energy. This will help you save money while also supporting the environment."
South Dublin is the latest library network to introduce the Home Energy Saving Kit scheme, and the kits are already available to borrow in all libraries in Dublin City, Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Roscommon, Leitrim, Cork City and a selection of libraries in Wexford. For a ful list of branches, please click here.
The Home Energy Saving Kit is now available to borrow free of charge from Lucan, Ballyroan and Tallaght libraries for a two-week period.Back